Finalizers, again!

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak at cse.unsw.edu.au
Thu Feb 27 07:47:23 EST 2003

I have just read Hans Boehm's POPL paper on finalizers.  His
suggestion for the use of finalizers in single-threaded
systems is to provide a `runFinalizers' routine, instead of
relying on the asynchronous execution that, as established,
requires support for concurrency.  I am not sure whether we
have given this option really serious consideration.

Why may this option be interesting?  It may allow us to have
Haskell finalizers after all.  As Boehm explains,
``finalizers generally fall into two categories: Those that
simply deallocate operating system resources and those that
touch other user data structures.''  It seems that we
currently, probably due to our FFI bias, concentrate on the
former kind.  The main benefit of Haskell finalizers, apart
from convenience, is the ability to process Haskell
structures.

As I understand Boehm, we might adopt the following design:

* Finalizers are normal Haskell routines.

* When the GC discovers that a finalizer becomes enabled, it
  is added into a list of enabled finalizers (but not run in
  a single-threaded system).

* When the routine

    runFinalizers :: IO ()

  is called, it runs the finalizers in the list of enabled
  finalizers one after the other.

* Systems supporting pre-emptive concurrency *may* run
  finalizers at any time after they become enabled, but they
  must run them when `runFinalizers' is called (similar to
  `performGC').

An attractive property of this design is that it provides a
smooth transition from single-threaded systems to systems
providing pre-emptive concurrency.  The requirement to
invoke `runFinalizers' explicitly might not be too
burdensome in practice as code making heavy use of the FFI
and finalizers probably spends a lot of time in the IO monad
with the opportunity to insert calls to `runFinalizers'.

Opinions?

PS: Sorry for bringing finalizers up again, but if there is
    an opportunity to improve the current design, I think,
    we should consider it.