Finalizers: conclusion?

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Mon Oct 21 11:24:24 EDT 2002

Ok, I'm sad to say that the problem we recently uncovered to do with
finalizers sharing values with the rest of the program essentially kills
off the possibility of doing Haskell finalizers in systems without
proper concurrency support.  I'm rather embarassed that I didn't notice
this before; sorry for wasting everyone's time :-(

Let's keep C finalizers for the FFI spec.  In GHC I imagine we'll
continue to offer Haskell finalizers as an extension, but I haven't
decided on an interface yet (suggestions welcome).