Finalizers etcetera

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Fri Oct 11 10:42:03 EDT 2002

|     type MVar# s elt        -- primitive
|
|     newMVar#    :: State# s -> (# State# s, MVar# s elt #)
|     takeMVar#   :: SynchVar# s elt -> State# s -> (# State# s, elt #)
|     putMVar#    :: SynchVar# s elt -> State# s -> State# s

Bad idea to look at the primops. The important things are
	the MVar type
	the operations newMVar, takeMVar, putMVar
	the forkIO operation

Their semantics are described (completely I think) in my "Tackling the
awkward squad" tutorial.

| As another aside, in the hierarchical libraries docs (package base,
| Control.Concurrent.MVar) there appears to be an ambiguity:
|
|     readMVar :: MVar a -> IO a
|     This is a combination of takeMVar and putMVar; ie. it takes the
|     value from the MVar, puts it back, and also returns it.
|
| It specifically avoids describing the combination as atomic, so I
| am uncertain whether the thread can be pre-empted between the 'take'
| and the 'put'?  Normally the answer would be yes, but then there is no
| benefit from having a separate 'readMVar' to combine the operations,
| so I am guessing that it /should/ be atomic.

False.   readMVar is completely described by
	readMVar m = do { v <- takeMVar m; putMVar m v; return v }

If it gets pre-empted between the take and the put, no matter; anyone
trying to take from that same MVar will block.