[Haskell & FP in Education] Welcome and introductions

Mark Lewis mlewis at trinity.edu
Thu Dec 20 17:17:24 UTC 2018

I wanted to address Stu's last comment. We've been using Scala at Trinity
for CS1 since 2010, and even before that, we didn't use the language used
for the AP exam. Using an "uncommon language" for CS1 (
https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=2839509.2844666) has a number of
benefits. Leveling the playing field is a big one. Using a functional
approach also really helps because it is inevitable that the students who
have codded before did it in an imperative language.

At Trinity, we have taken the additional step of having a special
"advanced" section for students with significant background, following the
model at Harvey Mudd. The primary goal of this is to get those students
away from the ones who haven't done much before, so they don't scare them
off. I teach that "advanced" section and like to push students to use a
more functional style, while my colleagues, who are teaching primarily
students who have never coded before, use a more imperative style. I think
that there could be an interesting discussion of the merits of this, but it
definitely has the advantage that we can all teach the same language and
end in the same place for CS2 while giving the advanced section more of a
challenge in terms of exposing them to things they don't already know.

Mark

Dr. Mark C. Lewis

Professor

Department of Computer Science