[Haskell & FP in Education] Welcome and introductions

Chris Smith cdsmith at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 22:19:49 UTC 2018

Hello, everyone!  Welcome to education at haskell.org.

This mailing list grew out of discussions at ICFP 2018 about creating a
space for collaboration and discussion of using Haskell and other
functional programming languages in general education.  To jump-start that
process, I'd like to invite everyone to introduce themselves and
specifically share your goals, opportunities, vantage point, and
interests.  The hope is that we'll be able to sort ourselves into
compatible interests and ideas, to kick off more detailed discussion or
collaborations.

Some suggested questions to spur discussion:

- What education-related projects are you involved in, or have you been
involved in previously?
- What other projects do you find exciting, intriguing, or worthy of
emulation?
- On the other hand, what projects or conversations should be happening,
but are not happening yet?
- Is there anything specific that you are definitely looking for from this
space?
- What vision do you have for functional programming in education?  That
is, what general principles guide your thinking?

I will reply with my own answers, and encourage you to do the same.

Thanks,
Chris

P.S. I realize this email is long past due.  Between my job as a software
engineer, volunteer teaching, and recent development on CodeWorld, I have
again fallen into the trap of over-committing myself and falling behind on
outside commitments.  I hope that late is still better than never.