patch: --enable-tests and --only-dependencies

Thomas Tuegel ttuegel at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 17:17:15 CET 2012

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 10:10 AM, Johan Tibell <johan.tibell at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think we want to run the tests of all dependent packages e.g. if I do
>
>    cabal install --enable-tests --only-dependencies
>
> if that's what you're trying to do. Or at least we need a way to say
> install all dependencies of this package, including its test
> dependencies.

No, that's not what I'm trying to do. I had introduced a patch that
ran tests for target packages and aborted installation if the tests
failed. For example,

> cabal install --enable-tests network

would install all network's dependencies (but not their tests), then
build, test, and install network. It didn't change how dependencies
were handled at all. However, the test runner in Cabal wasn't designed
to be invoked from cabal-install: it sometimes exits on success, which
cabal-install interprets as an error, even when it isn't. This was
stopping packages without tests from being installed with 'cabal
install --enable-tests', which shouldn't happen.

--
Thomas Tuegel