What build environments should Cabal support?

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 15 00:51:53 CET 2012

On 14 December 2012 23:33, Johan Tibell <johan.tibell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Ben Millwood <haskell at benmachine.co.uk> wrote:
>> Do we therefore have no interest in compilers other than GHC? Can we
>> drop all instances of ifdef __HUGS__ from the code?
>>
>> I think doing so would require a reasonable amount of work, but would
>> significantly lower the barrier to contributing to Cabal.
>
> I think so. To my knowledge there's no one who's actively maintaining
> and testing the Hugs support in Cabal. It's most likely broken.

We should distinguish the compilers that can build Cabal, from those
that cabal supports. Cabal supports several compilers that cannot
themselves build Cabal.

I am happy to drop the support for building Cabal using hugs and nhc
as I don't believe they have been used for some years.

In particular this will let us fully use new-style IO exceptions, and
the new createProcess function.