Agreeing on a UI for sandboxes

Mikhail Glushenkov the.dead.shall.rise at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 21:27:24 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 8:25 PM, Johan Tibell <johan.tibell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Let's have sandbox-init not take any configure arguments. It should
> just mark that the current repo should use a sandbox until
> sandbox-delete is run.

It'll still be a bit confusing:

$ cabal sandbox-init
$ cabal install --only-dependencies -w /path/to/compiler
$ cabal configure # Uses configure flags given to install

> Here's an idea: as a compromise we can have cabal build imply
> reb-building and installing only add-source dependencies. This means
> nothing has to be downloaded from the internet. Lets not worry about
> minimize rebuilding now. Just call build in each add-source repo and
> reinstall the library. GHC will already skip most of the rebuilding
> (but not the relinking?).

This is very easy to implement, but all packages depending on the
reinstalled libraries will have to be relinked and reinstalled, which
is not very fun. You can test this by running 'cabal-dev install
Cabal/ cabal-install/' twice in the Cabal source dir. With a larger
number of dependencies it'll be even more annoying.