Hackage2 server ready for testing

Ian Lynagh ian at well-typed.com
Thu Aug 30 17:19:49 CEST 2012

Hi Erik,

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 09:36:23PM +0200, Erik Hesselink wrote:

> One question: I see the reverse
> dependencies have been disabled, darcs says for 'performance
> problems'. Do you have some details? Do you think it is hard to fix?

There were 2 aspects to it.

First, it is slow: I think there's a comment somewhere saying that it
takes 2 seconds whenever a package is added. IIRC there are 23000+
packages in Hackage, so doing a full Hackage mirror would take
approximately an extra half day with this enabled.

Second, it looked like it might be the cause of some space leaks. It's
possible that this was fixed by me making space usage fixes elsewhere
since removing it.

I doubt that it is hard to fix, but I haven't looked at it at all.

Thanks
Ian