Automatic package reconfiguration and ConfigExFlags

Mikhail Glushenkov the.dead.shall.rise at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 04:19:45 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 12:29 AM, Thomas Tuegel <ttuegel at gmail.com> wrote:

> ConfigExFlags affect dependency
> resolution during configuration, so automatic reconfiguration that
> ignores them may silently and unexpectedly change how the package is
> linked. I'm concerned this could (hypothetically) lead to linking to a
> different version of a dependency, causing build failure (or worse, if
> different versions of the dependency have different behaviours).

The obvious solution is to save ConfigureExFlags between runs, just
like is done with LocalBuildInfo, but in a separate, cabal-install
specific, file (e.g., dist/cabal-install-setup-config). From a brief
glance at the code, this requires changing only 'reconfigure' in
cabal-install/Main.hs. Are there reasons to prefer merging
ConfigExFlags with ConfigFlags instead?