hackage-server memory requirements

Bas van Dijk v.dijk.bas at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 00:18:59 CEST 2011

On 25 October 2011 22:53, Max Bolingbroke <batterseapower at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Do you still see 4GB usage if you restart the server?

No, after restarting it was less but, if I remember correctly, still
over 700MB.

> Another thing to do would be to heap profile the server.. it would be
> very interesting to know what is going on.

I could run a sync on my 4GB laptop in the background tomorrow and do
a heap profile. I do expect to kill it half way since I also have to
get other stuff done.
What kind[1] of heap profile would be most useful. (In my experience
-hy or -hd are the most informative).

> I'd like to try do this out
> myself, but I can't mirror Hackage without hitting the usage limits on
> my internet connection :-).

Speaking of which, how large is Hackage?

Regards,

Bas

[1] http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/users_guide/prof-heap.html#rts-options-heap-prof