[Hackage] #622: wrong HTTP Content-Type for tar.gz files, breaking cabal-install behind some proxies.

Hackage cvs-ghc at haskell.org
Wed Oct 27 06:05:17 EDT 2010

#622: wrong HTTP Content-Type for tar.gz files, breaking cabal-install behind
some proxies.
----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
  Reporter:  guest    |         Type:  enhancement
Ghcversion:           |     Platform:
----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------

Comment(by duncan):

 {{{
 Wed Oct 27 10:50:34 BST 2010  Duncan Coutts <duncan at haskell.org>
   * Add an extra note about the http proxy decompression issue

 Tue Oct 26 22:26:06 BST 2010  Dmitry Astapov <dastapov at gmail.com>
   * Use "maybeDecompress" to handle broken proxies that transparenty
 decompress network streams. Closes #622, #686. Cabal update could fail in
 some cases, see http://trac.haskell.org/http/ticket/109283
 }}}
 So we now are quite tolerant, perhaps too tolerant. I'm leaving this
 ticket open because I think the "right thing" is to be slightly more
 paranoid. I think we should use the headers as described above to see what
 we expect to happen. In the case that we expected it to be compressed but
 it is actually not compressed, we should handle it as we do now, but
 perhaps in an even more paranoid way (e.g. checking for gzip magic number,
 checking for a valid tar header), and perhaps also emitting a warning
 about the broken proxy.

--
Ticket URL: <http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/622#comment:5>
Hackage <http://haskell.org/cabal/>