What about showing chosen flags by default?

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Wed Mar 26 20:20:09 EDT 2008

In message <20080326225636.GA30750 at gmx.de> Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de>,
cabal-devel at haskell.org writes:
> I'm using
> ./setup configure && ./setup build
> very often and hope that it just works (which it really does most of the
> time :)

You're not using cabal-install yet? :-)

> However sometimes it might be interesting to know which flags are
> chosen..
> Do you think it would be useful to show the chosen flags by default (not
> only when using -v3) ?
> It's only one additional line but gives you a lot of useful information
> (IMHO)
> Meanwhile I'm using configure .. 2>&1 | grep 'Flags chosen'

using
 $ cabal configure -v
gives a reasonable amount of useful information (at least that's the intention).
You don't need to go to -v3.

Do you think cabal configure -v produces too much? Perhaps we could tone that
down a bit so that it's more comfortable to use -v without feeling that you're
being swamped with info :-)