patch applied (cabal): Revert some of the UTF8 changes, use UTF8 only for files we know are UTF8

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 26 21:15:07 EST 2008

Tue Feb 26 17:45:49 PST 2008  Duncan Coutts <duncan at haskell.org>
  * Revert some of the UTF8 changes, use UTF8 only for files we know are UTF8
  So we use ordinary read/writeFile for ordinary text files. For console
  output we use ordinary putStr etc and we'll just hope that haskell
  implementations catch up and deal with that sensibly. Don't assume
  captured program output is UTF8, use the default encoding.
  So we use binary mode IO along with UTF8 encoding and decoding only for
  file types that we specify to be UTF8, which are .cabal files and
  .hs/.lhs files only.

    M ./Distribution/Compat/TempFile.hs -5 +20
    M ./Distribution/PackageDescription/Parse.hs -9 +13
    M ./Distribution/Simple/Build.hs -2 +2
    M ./Distribution/Simple/Configure.hs -3 +3
    M ./Distribution/Simple/GHC.hs -1 +1
    M ./Distribution/Simple/Haddock.hs -1
    M ./Distribution/Simple/Hugs.hs -4 +4
    M ./Distribution/Simple/JHC.hs -2 +2
    M ./Distribution/Simple/PreProcess.hs -3 +3
    M ./Distribution/Simple/Register.hs -6 +6
    M ./Distribution/Simple/SetupWrapper.hs -1 +1
    M ./Distribution/Simple/SrcDist.hs -4 +4
    M ./Distribution/Simple/Utils.hs -26 +18

View patch online:

  http://darcs.haskell.org/cabal/_darcs/patches/20080227014549-adfee-870a6525e4fdd12c6a72c477428b6f671eda31f4.gz