Why is there a cabal file at all?

Conal Elliott conal at conal.net
Tue Jan 9 22:41:57 EST 2007

Marc points out that the expressiveness of the Cabal language is
insufficient for some packages, and a DSEL would be more expressive.  I have
the same problem and still have to resort to makefiles to augment my .cabal
files.

DSELs also provide sharing/reuse.  I know my Cabal specs are similar, and
yet I cannot capture that commonality.

Using a DSEL does not imply that it route through IO, though from Marc's
examples I'm guessing he has IO in mind.  Avoiding IO would address your
points about day of week and random strings.

So I hope Marc's suggestion gets some consideration.

 - Conal