Dependencies/backwards compatibility in Hackage

Sven Moritz Hallberg sm at khjk.org
Thu Feb 1 11:30:27 EST 2007

Neil Mitchell <ndmitchell at gmail.com>, 2007-02-01 15.59 +0000:
> We're all assuming here that HaXml deliberately decided to change the
> interface. Is that really true? (only Malcolm can answer)

Yes, I had a glance at it and AFAICT he changed the name of the
submodule Text.XML.HaXml.Xml2Haskell to something more suitable.

> Most of the time I guess that the interface will change by accident,
> without people spotting. Perhaps we are trying to solve the wrong
> problem...

You have a point, interface change by accident is a different problem.
But it doesn't make the other one wrong. Clearly not all interface change
is by accident; see above. But without a way for the author to declare it,
we're effectively treating all these instances as change by accident as
well, which means more maintenance.

-Sven