hacking cabal is too hard...

Peter Gavin pgavin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 12:52:21 EDT 2007

On 8/6/07, Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> Cabal/Hackage is fantastically successful, despite the amount we grumble
> about it's shortcomings.
>
> > But this is fertile ground for hackers who enjoy cleaning things up and
> > refactoring...
>
> Certainly. How to recruit such people...
>
> I might try and do a 5-min status report at AngloHaskell.
> "Cabal needs you" or something :-)

Some time ago Duncan and I briefly discussed a few things that I could
do with Cabal.  I forget exactly what they were now, but it had to do
with getting Gtk2HS working better with it (or at all, even).  I think
I got sidetracked by school and other code I've been working on for
Gtk2HS, so I never got around to it.  I'm interested in helping you
guys, but I suppose I should look at the Cabal code some more. One
thing that Cabal seems to need is a flexible source code dependency
resolution system.  I think I'd like to hack something out in that
area.

Pete