darcs patch: Put pre-processed source into the dist/b... (and 2 more)

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Sun Apr 22 06:33:42 EDT 2007

Those patches I was talking about. I'd apreciate a review :-)

Actually to test it with c2hs also needs a patch to c2hs that I'll send
tomorrow. But it should work for alex & happy etc already.

Duncan

Sun Apr 22 19:56:31 EST 2007  Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk>
  * Put pre-processed source into the dist/build dir rather than src dirs
  This is generally just a nicer thing to do, we should probably aim to
  not write any files into the source tree at all.
  The main change is in the preprocessModule function. It now takes an extra
  arg which is the destination directory. For now I'm passing the buildDir,
  but we could consider putting pre-processed files into a separate fir
  from where the .o and .hi files end up.
  To work out the correct destination file we need to know not only the source
  file but which of the search dirs it was found in, since the relative file
  name will be the name of the source file relative to the search dir it was
  found in, not the name relative to the top of the source tree. This is so that
  we will be able to find the pre-processed .hs file just by adding dist/build
  to the sources search path when we compile (eg with -i for ghc).
  This almost certainly breaks the sdist thing where pre-processed files get
  included into the tarball. So that'll need looking at.

Sun Apr 22 20:05:58 EST 2007  Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk>
  * Generalise PreProcessors to take more detailed args
  Most pre-processors just need the full source file and target file names.
  More complicated ones where the generated files have to embed links to each
  other need more information. For example c2hs generates .hs file that
  reference generated .h files. These links should be relative to the dist/build
  dir and not to the top of the source tree, since we do not want to add -I. to
  the includes search path. We only want to use -Idist/build, hence the embeded
  links must be relative to that. Therefor c2hs needs to know the base output
  directory as well as the name of the file relative to that.
  So we add a new type PreProcessorFull that has this extra info and a function
  simplePP :: :: PreProcessor -> PreProcessorFull
  for the common case of most existing pre-processors that do not need this
  extra info.
  This patch doesn't actually change the c2hs stuff, that comes next.

Sun Apr 22 20:26:17 EST 2007  Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk>
  * call c2hs using the more detailed info
  we use --output-dir=dist/base
  and --output=<file relative to the search dir it was found in>.hs
  This actually depends on a patch in c2hs to make it treat --output-dir
  in the way we want. That patch will be forthcomming soonish.
  But the point is:
  c2hs --output-dir=dist/base --output=Foo/Bar.hs src/Foo/Bar.chs
  will generate dist/base/Foo/Bar.hs and also dist/base/Foo/Bar.h
  but inside the .hs file it'll reference Foo/Bar.h so when we compile the
  .hs file we have to -Idist/base
  Clear as mud?