darcs patch: Add initial support for --enable/disable-library-vanilla

Isaac Jones ijones at syntaxpolice.org
Sun Aug 20 17:39:15 EDT 2006

Simon Marlow <simonmarhaskell at gmail.com> writes:

(snip)
>> I've added a trac ticket so we don't forget the testing:
>>
>> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/91
>
> Which reminds me of a question I have in general: what's the testing
> strategy for Cabal?  I'm aware of the unit tests (which I use via GHCi).
> 'make moduleTest' spews a ton of stuff, including lots of messages about
> failures, and I'm not sure whether I should expect it to work or not.
>
> In GHC we have a small number of tests in our testsuite for
> Cabal-related things
> (http://darcs.haskell.org/testsuite/tests/ghc-regress/cabal).  Perhaps
> we should try to incorporate the other Cabal tests into there too?

The cabal test suite is actually still pretty good and non bitrotted.
There are 3 tests I think that fail, and I haven't gotten around to
figuring out why yet.  When I add new features, I always add tests,
though I know that most people don't, so there are probably lots of
untested features.

The test suite should basically work if you have ghc and hugs
installed. "make check" does everything and reports on failures at the
end.  The hugs tests will often fail a lot if Hugs has an older
version of cabal installed.  This can be fixed by building and
installing the current tree for Hugs like normal:

./setup configure --hugs
./ etc

peace,

  isaac