[Haskell-beginners] Hello (First message on the mailing list)

Lyndon Maydwell maydwell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 04:25:21 UTC 2020

Hi Olivier,

I had a quick look, I think it's a great first try. Here are my thoughts!

module DivRusse where

{-
  Comments:

  * This seems unsafe in that it doesn't handle negative numbers well.
  * This can be evidenced by needing a guard on our property.
  * Could be addressed by using a safe newtype.
  * Define properties and use quickcheck to test them.
  * Favor pattern-matching over use of `fst`, `snd`.
  * Use `where` over `let` to highlight what the final result is.
  * Rewrite folds to more wholemeal approach. e.g. `sum $ map snd
filteredPair`
  * Use standard functions and composition to eliminate lambdas like this:
`(\(x, _) -> x `mod` 2 /= 0 )` = `(odd . fst)`.
  * `russmulList` could go into an infinite loop for negative numbers.
Either prevent this with types (preferred), or return an error somehow.

 -}

main :: IO ()
main = do
  putStrLn "13 x 12 is"
  print $ russmul 13 12

-- Property: Does russmul = *?
prop_russmul :: Int -> Int -> Bool
prop_russmul a b
  | a > 0 && b > 0 = russmul a b == a * b
  | otherwise      = True

russmul :: Int -> Int -> Int
russmul a b  = sum $ map snd filteredPair
  where
    filteredPair = filter (odd . fst)  $ (a,b) : russmulList a b

russmulList :: Int -> Int -> [(Int, Int)]
russmulList 1 _ = []
russmulList a b = (a', b') : russmulList a' b'
  where
    a' = a `div` 2
    b' = b * 2

Warm Regards,