[Haskell-beginners] Simplified Luhn Algorithm

trent shipley trent.shipley at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 08:48:34 UTC 2018

luhnDouble = (2*x) `mod` 9   almost works, but produces 0 for 2*9 when the
answer should be 9.

So.

luhnDouble :: Int -> Int
luhnDouble x = let y = (2 * x) in if y >  9
    then y - 9
    else y

(Note, at this point in the book, the "let" trick has not been introduced.)

luhn :: Int -> Int -> Int -> Int -> Bool
luhn x1 x2 x3 x4 = 0 == sum[luhnDouble x1, x2, luhnDouble x3, x4] `mod` 10

(This suggested modification works wonderfully.)

A solution for a list of arbitrary length awaits chapter 7, this question
was from chapter 4.  Note, Wikipedia.en implies that originally the digits
of the multiplication result were to be added, as in 8 * 2 = 16 = 1 + 6 =
7  OR 16 - 9 = 7.