[Haskell-beginners] Haskell laziness and data structures.

Norbert Melzer timmelzer at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 22:22:54 UTC 2016

Ford writes:

> I am trying to implement ant colony optimization algorithm (or any
> other similar simulation) . In procedural language I would keep the
> world map in 2D matrix that provides O(1) collision check and O(1) ant
> position change.

I do not know that particular algorithm, but most algorithms are even
written down imperatively. First check if odd, iff so do foo and then
repeat first step with next item else repeat step 1 with next item
without doing foo.

In FP the world is working in a slightly different way. FP would say the
above roughly like “for all odd items in a list do foo”

Maybe the difference is not that obvious right now.

But trying to repostulate the wording of an algorithm from imperative
style to declarative style, does help a lot very often.

As I already said, when I think to need mutable datastructures, most of
the time my algorithm is not declarative enough.

Try to reach for a different algorithm which has the same goal, or at
least try to rethink the one you currently have.

> (The memory usage is also important.)

It is always, but it is also very hard to reason about memory usage in
GC'd languages. You might be able to reason about pure allocations while
assuming that garbage is collected instantly, but this is just not true.

Sometimes even immutable stuff is changed in place, just because the
runtime knows that the old value will never be used again. And this does
massively depends on the optimisation, the compiler and the runtime used.