[Haskell-beginners] Monad transformers

Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan ram at rkrishnan.org
Sat Sep 19 07:00:22 UTC 2015

On Sat, Sep 19, 2015, at 06:30 AM, Andrew Bernard wrote:
> Greetings All,
>
> While I admire Haskell enormously, as a an intermediate beginner I
> find it difficult to know what is normal Haskell style for real world
> programming. On the subject of monad transformers, the paper by Martin
> Grabümller titled 'Monad Transformers Step by Step' gives an example
> of an evaluator using monad transformers with the following type:
>
> type Eval6 α = ReaderT Env (ErrorT String (WriterT [String] (StateT
> Integer IO))) α

I felt the same too when I looked at that paper and read some other
Haskell code. But in my own little practice, I haven't written such type
signatures.

One of the talks that can help you get rid of the fear is this one by
Brian Hurt. It certainly helped me and I used a few Monad Transformers
after that talk to make my code cleaner. Encourage you to have a look.

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t8fjkISjus>

Cheers and happy hacking!
--
Ramakrishnan