[Haskell-beginners] Problems installing lambdabot

Joel Neely joel.neely at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 11:53:05 UTC 2015

I am using a recent install of Haskell platform (GHC/GHCi version 7.8.3) in
OS X 10.9.5, and have been working through Real World Haskell and last
year's CIS194 lectures and exercises.

I attempted to follow the instructions for installing lambdabot (as given
by https://wiki.haskell.org/Lambdabot ) via cabal install lambdabot.

After 24 1/2 minutes, the process ended with a little over a dozen error
messages apparently tracing to two occurrences of ExitFailure 1:

MonadRandom-0.3.0.1 failed during the building phase. The exception was:

ExitFailure 1

regex-pcre-0.94.4 failed during the building phase. The exception was:

ExitFailure 1

​The remaining messages were from components dependent on one or the other
of those two.

The logged failure for regex-pcre-0.94.4 ​included the following:

Preprocessing library regex-pcre-0.94.4...
Wrap.hsc:148:10: fatal error: 'pcre.h' file not found
#include <pcre.h>
         ^
1 error generated.
compiling dist/build/Text/Regex/PCRE/Wrap_hsc_make.c failed (exit code 1)

​and for MonadRandom-0.3.0.1 included:

Preprocessing library MonadRandom-0.3.0.1...
[1 of 2] Compiling Control.Monad.Random.Class (
Control/Monad/Random/Class.hs, dist/build/Control/Monad/Random/Class.o )
[2 of 2] Compiling Control.Monad.Random ( Control/Monad/Random.hs,
dist/build/Control/Monad/Random.o )
[1 of 2] Compiling Control.Monad.Random.Class (
Control/Monad/Random/Class.hs, dist/build/Control/Monad/Random/Class.p_o )
[2 of 2] Compiling Control.Monad.Random ( Control/Monad/Random.hs,
dist/build/Control/Monad/Random.p_o )
/Users/joel/.ghc/x86_64-darwin-7.8.3/package.conf.d/package.cache:
openBinaryFile: does not exist (No such file or directory)

​
​I am at a loss for corrective actions. I would assume that I need to
locate the pcre.h header file and put it in the "right place"​, but was
unable to find the location of Wrap_hsc_make.c. And I don't know how to
address the non-existence of openBinaryFile in package.cache.

Thanks in advance for any advice on correcting the above problems!

-jn-

--
Beauty of style and harmony and grace and good rhythm depend on simplicity.
- Plato