[Haskell-beginners] Fwd: GHC 7.10 Prelude: we need your opinion

Kim-Ee Yeoh ky3 at atamo.com
Tue Feb 10 16:46:26 UTC 2015

Simon PJ missed out the haskell-beginners list, but I encourage you to fill
out the survey below as well.

Now you may ask, "Well, I'm still learning haskell and I don't know enough."

But consider that by being on this list and by haskelling whatever you may
consider as utterly insignificant, you're still waaaaaaaay ahead than those
who have yet to reach haskell at all.

Your opinion counts.

Because those _after_ you will help provide jobs by creating haskell
projects, just like you.

But unlike them, you get to influence the haskell of tomorrow that will be
their first encounter, whether that would be a haskell that's friendlier or
more @#$%^& than what it is today.

The survey link is here:
*http://goo.gl/forms/XP1W2JdfpX <http://goo.gl/forms/XP1W2JdfpX>*

Summaries (each quite long) are here:

·         Overall summary: https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Prelude710
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fghc.haskell.org%2Ftrac%2Fghc%2Fwiki%2FPrelude710&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNE1p5w-YCXC7ixebvwObayuV7Ut4w>

·         Details of Plan List:
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Prelude710/List
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fghc.haskell.org%2Ftrac%2Fghc%2Fwiki%2FPrelude710%2FList&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHaufeSwtIsvZwdVXwP9F9G45zLSA>
·         Details of Plan FTP:
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Prelude710/FTP
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fghc.haskell.org%2Ftrac%2Fghc%2Fwiki%2FPrelude710%2FFTP&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHbhNyIwAbcOd3JfikIhD6S7rc-vw>

Fwiw, I voted to delay FTP. In fact, here's what I wrote:

"FTP is rushed and potentially unstable. I don't think we understand all
about Traversable that we think we do, which might mean another big Prelude
overhaul in the future.

Actually, FTP doesn't even belong in 7.12 per se. It belongs in a new
Haskell language standard and if that coincides with GHC 7.12, great. If
not, it can wait for GHC 8.x and up."

Because I've been keeping tabs on FTP I wrote my opinion without perusing
the summaries, but on doing so later, I stumbled upon the following points
that happen to reflect my exact observations, points that are relevant to
learning haskell and growing the haskell community:

https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Prelude710/List

   - The existing corpus of books, tutorials, syllabi, and the like usually
   have a significant portion of the text dedicated to these very Prelude
   functions - and they would all need significant revision.

   - Teaching beginners what sequence means in its full generality is going
   to be a challenge.

   - While teaching beginners who end up on #haskell IRC might be possible,
   this is likely to increase the "bounce" rate, people who see Haskell, play
   around, and run away scared. I think Haskell probably has a higher bounce
   rate than most other languages, making it worse would be bad.

Whether you agree or disagree with the above, now's the time to make
yourself heard. The survey closes Feb 21.

p.s. Needless to say, feel free to discuss FTP on this list should your
opinion need a sounding board and a bit of time (not too long!) to firm up.

-- Kim-Ee