[Haskell-beginners] library for lattice data structure

Kim-Ee Yeoh ky3 at atamo.com
Wed Mar 12 08:19:31 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 11:35 AM, James Toll <james at jtoll.com> wrote:

> Coming from a finance background, differences in terminology between
> finance, physics, math, and statistics is par for the course.  I'll have to
> be better about understanding the terminology from a math perspective and
> will try to keep that in mind when posting to this list.

On deeper reflection, I realize it's more complicated than that. Because
there are
at least two meanings in math.

The lattices on hackage are all about posets and meets and joins, tracing
back to the work of Birkhoff in that subspecialization of algebra known as
order theory.

Then there are the lattices in sphere packings and geometric number theory
and 'lattice'-based cryptography, cf ntru.

One could say that the geometric lattices are closer to binomial lattices,
but not really. I wonder why 'binomial tree' isn't perfectly cromulent.

-- Kim-Ee