[Haskell-beginners] ghc prelude home

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Sun Dec 28 16:58:57 UTC 2014

Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 9:49 AM, Doug McIlroy <doug at cs.dartmouth.edu> wrote:
>
>> Where can I find the full ghc prelude?
>>

> There was at one point an intention of making the "base" package available
> on Hackage, but at the moment you need the ghc source to get it.

And `base` is now living in the GHC tree itself; it no longer has its own
repository which further complicates its status as a free-standing
package. This was a conscious decision as much of `base` is quite tied
to GHC. There have been various attempts to split base up into packages
of finer granularity ([1] being the latest, as far as I know);
unfortunately they have all run into various practical issues.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://www.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2013-July/020390.html