[Haskell-beginners] Cabal build dependency using a git repo

Michael Baker michaeltbaker at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 21:11:36 UTC 2013

I have a library which isn't on Hackage that I would like to use as a build
dependency in another project. In Rubygems you can provide a git repository
in the absence of an actual Rubygems repository.

Does Cabal support something like that? I would like to specify that a
particular build depend can be fetched from a given git repository rather
than from Hackage and have Cabal fetch it when installing the build
dependencies.

I'm guessing that it's not possible because I don't see a mention of this
feature anywhere. If it's not possible, how do people typically handle this
problem? Git submodules?