[Haskell-beginners] Editor choices

Jeff Lasslett jeff.lasslett at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 01:11:38 CEST 2013

Hi Amy,

On 19 April 2013 19:13, Amy de Buitléir <amy at nualeargais.ie> wrote:

> Jeff Lasslett <jeff.lasslett <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > So I find myself playing around with XMonad source code.
>
> Have you seen the "XMonad deconstructed" videos? They're very well done.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63MpfyZUcrU (part 1)
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivdyLaH3PhY (part 2)

Yes, I have watched these and i agree with you.  They are quite well done.
 I have found them very helpful.  Sadly they don't touch much on X event
handling within XMonad, which is what I am most interested in.

> > I'd like the editor/IDE to tell me the type of a thing, or at least the
> module it is defined in.
>
> Leksah and EclipseFP are two options you might want to consider. You can
> find links to them, and information about other options here:

Leksah sound good, although perhaps a little "heavier" than I would like.
 I'm not a huge fan of eclipse, though I may take a look at eclipsefp.

> I myself make do with querying the types in GHCi or Hayoo. I also installed
> the command-line version of Hoogle (see
> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Hoogle), which is very useful.

Thanks for this suggestion.  The trouble starts for me when I don't know
what package something is in.  For example ...
*Main> :t guard

<interactive>:1:1: Not in scope: `guard'

I think I looked it up in the index on hackage.  It's times like that when
I long for a hotkey combo that will tell me package and type info for the
item under the cursor.

Thanks,
Jeff