[Haskell-beginners] Issue installing reactive-banana-5.0.0.1

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Wed May 2 15:25:05 CEST 2012

Miguel Negrao wrote:

> cabal install regex-base parsec-3.1.1 MissingH --reinstall
> --constraint='mtl == 2.1’
>
> With this command it installs correctly, I can now run all the
> examples. All seem to work fine except CRUD that crashed at some
> point.

Great!

By the way, the crash is fixed in the development version of wxHaskell

   https://github.com/jodonoghue/wxHaskell

>>> No, you have to create timers yourself. It's not very difficult,
>>> though, you can just create a wxWidget and listen to its  command
>>> event.
>
> Is any generality lost because of this or are the approaches
> equivalent ?

Once you have a timer, you can make a behavior

    time :: Behavior t Time

that indicates the current time and thus allows you to write functions
that depend on the current clock time, just like in Conal's papers.

In other words, the approaches are largely equivalent.

The thing is just that different GUI or audio frameworks tend to have
different implementations of timers and reactive-banana can't decide
which one is more appropriate. For instance, Henning Thielemann uses
ALSA-timers in his reactive-balsa package

   http://hackage.haskell.org/package/reactive-balsa-0.0

At some point, I intend to offer some common time-related functionality
(for example as in the Wave.hs example) for different backends.

Best regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus

--
http://apfelmus.nfshost.com