[Haskell-beginners] Large binary overhead?

Christopher Howard christopher.howard at frigidcode.com
Thu May 26 05:42:11 CEST 2011

I'm still going through the GHC tutorial, so be patient with me: But why
is it that my GHC-produced executables are always so large? Even my one
line Hello World program ends up being over 500KB. I thought maybe it
was because all of the functionality was statically compiled in, but I
used ldd and saw that my hello world binary links dynamically to 10
different C libraries. (I compile on Gentoo Linux x86, if that makes a
difference.)

Anyway, is that just the way it is, or does this become a non-issue once
I learn proper optimization/linking techniques?

--
frigidcode.com
theologia.indicium.us