[Haskell-beginners] learning about exceptions

Markus Läll markus.l2ll at gmail.com
Sun May 22 15:55:58 CEST 2011

Hi Jake,

it looks like the docs (Control.Exception from base) are the best
place to start right now, because all articles and links on the wiki
are old.

They (the docs) are quite informative though, so if you don't really
need to use exceptions, then it might be easier to wait and come back
to them when you do -- by then they'll be easier to understand, too.

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 12:47 AM, Jake Penton <djp at arqux.com> wrote:
> I am working my way through Real World Haskell. I just finished chapter 8, and am moving through chapter 9.
>
> I note that RWH uses deprecated "old" exceptions. I am currently importing the old style exceptions as I work through the code, but would like to learn the current (new) exception stuff.
>
> Is there a good tutorial on thissomewhere ? Please bear in mind that at my state of knowledge it is still rather difficult to get this knowledge by reading the library documentation alone. I am not all that great at inferring what is going on just by inspecting signatures, etc.
>
> Is ch.19 of RWH (which covers exceptions in more depth) still relevant to "new" exceptions?
>
> Thanks.
>
> - Jake -

Markus Läll