[Haskell-beginners] haskell install on low memory server?

Felipe Almeida Lessa felipe.lessa at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 15:25:21 CET 2011

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 2:14 PM, Rob Nikander <rob.nikander at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to install Haskell on a linux virtual server with about 600
> MB of RAM.  (Maybe that is doomed to failure?)  The goal is to try
> "happstack" for web apps, behind nginx.  Compiling the whole platform
> is asking for OpenGL... so I thought I would get cabal and install
> pieces that I want.  I downloaded the 'generic ghc binary' from here:
> http://hackage.haskell.org/platform/linux.html and that seems to work.
>  But when I download the cabal-install tarball and try to run it's
> 'bootstrap.sh' I run out of memory.  Is there a way to tell it to use
> less memory?

You don't really need to compile GHC by yourself on the memory
constrained machine.  First of all, you may use a binary distribution.
 And second, you may compile on a different machine with more RAM.

That said, compiling Haskell programs on such low memory computers
isn't really difficult, provided your program isn't as big as GHC.
I've been succesfully using an AWS micro instance with 595 MiB of RAM
and an Yesod app.  (But I have some swap memory should it be needed.)

HTH, =)

--
Felipe.