[Haskell-beginners] FW: question

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Mon Jul 18 18:42:57 CEST 2011

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 12:36:51PM -0400, Brent Yorgey wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 10:40:17AM -0400, David Place wrote:
> > On Jul 14, 2011, at 10:20 AM, Roelof Wobben wrote:
> >
> > > The initial question was about the difference between what you call Latex and Haskell symbols.
> > >
> > > I must say that this book explains things better then the other books I tried.
> >
> > On the web page for that book, there are a number of code sample
> > files to download.  Maybe you could look there for some good
> > concrete examples of syntax.    Note that they are in Literary
> > Programming Style.
>
> Usually that is called "literate" programming style.  However, I like
> very much the idea of a literary programming style.  Good programs
> should read like gripping novels. =)

Like mystery novels, with twists and unexpected turns?

That's often what programs do read like, but I would much prefer them
to be like books for small children; concise, to the point, and
exceedingly easy to read, even when one is tired.

/M

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

Most software today is very much like an Egyptian pyramid with
millions of bricks piled on top of each other, with no structural
integrity, but just done by brute force and thousands of slaves.
     -- Alan Kay