[Haskell-beginners] Where does a real beginner begin? Scheme+SICP? Real World Haskell?

Greg Morell gm at sixflagsmail.com
Fri Jun 18 10:57:50 EDT 2010

I'm not much of a programmer.  I've only used PHP and Ruby for the last 10 years.  But I've heard so many wonderful things about Haskell, I'd like to really spend the time to learn it.

No particular purpose, except to broaden my mind and get to know (what I hear is) a completely different way of thinking about programming.

But what's the best way to start from scratch?

Should I start with "Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs" book and Scheme as my intro?  Then afterwards, get into the Real World Haskell book?

Or just start with Haskell directly?

Any advice appreciated.