[Haskell-beginners] Re: Haskell and Niches

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Wed Jun 16 03:29:53 EDT 2010

Jordan Cooper wrote:
> The recent mailings about using Haskell for an accounting system got
> me thinking, since people have pointed out the things that would make
> the language suited for the task.
>
> Does this means there are some programming tasks that Haskell is great
> for, and others that you would pick a different language for? I was
> under the impression that it was more a "general purpose" language
> than a "niche" language--I'm using it for programming a decently
> ambitious (though small) game now, and it's bending my brain but I
> suspect it is fully possible even though games are traditionally
> imperatively programmed.
>
> Do you try to use Haskell for every project? Is there some sort of
> "right tool for the right job" adage you follow?

I'm using Haskell for everything. This may not mean much because
"everything" is mainly shell scripting and parsing for me.

For example, I wrote a small  make -like DSL in Haskell for my website
because GNUmake grew too cumbersome for me.

Of course, I'm still using short shell scripts for bash commands and
the-like. But my rule of thumb is that I write everything which involves
a for loop in Haskell.

(Unfortunately, I don't use Haskell for GUI scripting which pretty much
requires a particular language (AppleScript).)

Regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus

--
http://apfelmus.nfshost.com