[Haskell-beginners] indentation

Jorden Mauro jrm8005 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 18:44:42 EST 2010

On Feb 14, 2010, at 6:00 PM, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org>
wrote:

> On 14/02/10 22:05, Jorden Mauro wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Stephen Blackheath [to
>> Haskell-Beginners]
>> <mutilating.cauliflowers.stephen at blacksapphire.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Jorden,
>>>
>>> Cave persons such as yourself can use tabs as long as your tab
>>> size is 8
>>> characters.  This is "hard-coded" into the Haskell 98 specification.
>>>

>> My editor, being made of sticks, some rocks, and the jawbone of an
>> ass, just puts in a tab character. The graphical representation of a
>> tab character expands from the insertion point to the nearest
>> multiple
>> of 8 characters, but that has no bearing on the file contents.
>
> Sure it does, the bearing is that there's a tab character there.  ;-)

If I put one.

>> Also, there are situations when a tab-boundary is not enough. What
>> is the
>> correct course of action here?
>
> Other people have already suggested it: change editor.

Not happening. Sam is sublime.

> Please let us know if there is *any* good reason for anyone to be
> using such a
> limited editor in the 21st century.

Structural regexes. Size. Remote editing. Simplicity of code, UI, etc.
Lack of bugs. Orthogonality. Performance. (Sam handles dozens of
megabyte-sized files, even on a remote machine, without batting an
eye, even during regex commands)

>> Currently, I usually try to change the line to spaces, or if I'm
>> lazy,
>> I'll put spaces after tabs, which I don't feel good about. My editor
>> knows enough to indent the next line the same amount.
>
> From this it sounds like you aren't using such a stone age editor
> after all.

I assure you, I am. It has exactly only 33 commands. Give it a spin, I
doubt you'll like it. It's not ed, but does have a GUI -- a verrry
simple one.

> Are you sure you can't get it to also convert tabs to spaces?

Not without reprogramming it. Of course, I could convert files by
hand, but I could just as easily use spaces. I just thought tabs were
acceptable.

I was a contientious objector in the Tabs or Spaces War. Is just using
spaces the Haskell Caveman Solution?