[Haskell-beginners] Problems installing TagSoup.Parsec

Mark Wong-VanHaren markwvh at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 15:21:12 EST 2010

Hi, folks-

I'm a Haskell newbie.  There's a very real chance my question has a simple
answer.

I wish to use the library Text.HTML.TagSoup.Parsec (
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/tagsoup-parsec), which looks very cool.

When I attempt to install it, I get this error:

# cabal install tagsoup-parsec
Resolving dependencies...
Configuring tagsoup-parsec-0.0.6...
Preprocessing library tagsoup-parsec-0.0.6...
Building tagsoup-parsec-0.0.6...
[1 of 1] Compiling Text.HTML.TagSoup.Parsec ( Text/HTML/TagSoup/Parsec.hs,
dist/build/Text/HTML/TagSoup/Parsec.o )

Text/HTML/TagSoup/Parsec.hs:37:5:
   `Tag' is not applied to enough type arguments
   Expected kind `*', but `Tag' has kind `* -> *'
   In the type synonym declaration for `WholeTag'
tagsoup-parsec-0.0.6 failed during the building phase. The exception was:
exit: ExitFailure 1

It would seem to be a type mismatch between TagSoup.Parsec and the base
TagSoup (on which it depends).

Suspecting that the version-number dependency information might be
incorrect, I tried uninstalling TagSoup and reinstalling an older version.
This didn't help.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Thanks!
-Mark