[arch-haskell] Adding non-Hackage apps to habs

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Thu May 8 10:42:37 UTC 2014

On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 6:45 PM, Richard Wallace
<rwallace at thewallacepack.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to get aura[1] added to habs.  I didn't realize when I started that
> it isn't up on Hackage yet.  I did some experimenting trying to get it added
> to habs, but it looks like there isn't really a way to add it to the
> cblrepo.db since it isn't on Hackage.
>
> It looks like the only way to get aura added is to create a static directory
> with the PKGBUILD.  Would this be an acceptable approach or should I push
> the maintainer to get aura added to Hackage instead (he said that he will
> add version 2.0 to Hackage, but I can try and push to get the current
> version up on Hackage)?

There is currently no way to add a package that isn't on Hackage.
This is fairly deeply rooted in `cblrepo` but I have started taking a
few steps in the direction where it'd be possible to have more than
one Hackage the idea was to make it possible to use something like
yackage[1].  Yackage has been deprecated, but on the other hand
hackage itself is available via hackage :)

The maintenance burden is too high for me to keep any package
statically in habs:

1. Updates are not found automatically
2. PKGBUILDs can't be generated automatically (IIRC)

Hackage is the way forward!

/M

[1]: http://hackage.haskell.org/package/yackage

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org