[arch-haskell] Bootstrapping a cblrepo.db / custom repository

Rudy Matela rudy at matela.com.br
Mon Jul 28 16:07:34 UTC 2014

Hello All,

First of all, many thanks to Magnus Therning for maintaining the
arch-haskell repository and it's tools.  It saved a lot of time for me
(both fighting cabal and compiling packages).

I'm planning to use cblrepo to create a new repository from scratch.
So, I have a question:

How to use cblrepo to bootstrap a new repository?  (Is it even
intended to use for that purpose.)  Or, more broadly, what's the best
way to bootstrap an arch (-haskell) repository?

For example, suppose I want a repository with just template-haskell:

$ mkdir habs-bootstrap
$ cd habs-bootstrap
$ cblrepo add template-haskell,2.9.0.0
Failed to satisfy the following dependencies for template-haskell:
  base ==4.7.*
  containers ==0.5.*
  pretty ==1.1.*

Shouldn't the dependencies here be added by default?  Guessing here
that it is not possible because of inability to guess package types
(--ghc-pkg / --distro-pkg).

I've also tried:

$ cblrepo add -g base,4.7.0.1

That was ok, but:

$ cblrepo add template-haskell,2.9.0.0
Failed to satisfy the following dependencies for template-haskell:
  containers ==0.5.*
  pretty ==1.1.*

Containers and pretty are provided by GHC.  Should I add GHC in my
repository?  That does not seem to be the case with haskell-happstack
[1]: it has array on it's db (it is also provided by ghc).

Regards,
Rudy

[1]: https://github.com/tensor5/haskell-happstack

PS: Which kind of setup do you all use, in general, to maintain your
own packages not provided by haskell-core?  So far I've been using my
own fork of archhaskell/habs, but I kinda loose the work (on
cblrepo.db) when merging with Magnus' branch, needing to re-add all my
packages.