[arch-haskell] working with HABS

Linus Arver linusarver at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 07:14:29 UTC 2014

Hi Magnus --

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 02:41:01PM +0100, Magnus Therning wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 12:29 AM, Linus Arver <linusarver at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I want to compile HABS packages with the 'makeahpkg' script but the uses
> > of 'sudo' require me to enter my root password every once in a while.
> > This is annoying because I cannot just do
> >
> >     ./makeahpkg -c -- $(cblrepo build base | tail -n +2)
> >
> > and let it run overnight. In fact, at one instance the script just
> > exited on its own because I did not enter the root pasword in time. Is
> > there a workaround for this?
>
> The easiest way is to remove password prompting while building.  That
> does compromise security somewhat though.

How do you do remove password prompting entirely? I could change the
timeout for sudo but that feels a bit hacky.

> You can also try to run the
> script as root, then `sudo` becomes a no-op.  The building uses a
> chroot, which is why root access is necessary.

I tried running the script as root, but then `makeahpkg` complains:

    ==> Creating updated database file 'repo.db.tar.gz'
    *** Skipping build in /home/l/prog/foreign/habs/haskell-tagsoup
    *** Building in /home/l/prog/foreign/habs/haskell-th-lift
    :: Synchronizing package databases...
     repo                    23.3 KiB  0.00B/s 00:00 [##############] 100%
     haskell                256.1 KiB  1778K/s 00:00 [##############] 100%
     core is up to date
     extra                 1529.6 KiB  2.63M/s 00:01 [##############] 100%
     community                2.0 MiB  3.10M/s 00:01 [##############] 100%
    :: Starting full system upgrade...
     there is nothing to do
    ==> ERROR: Running makepkg as root is a BAD idea and can cause
    permanent,
    catastrophic damage to your system. If you wish to run as root, please
    use the --asroot option.
    ==> ERROR: Could not download sources.

This is probably from the call to "pacman -Syu --noconfirm" from line
598 in /usr/bin/makechrootpkg.

> > Also does anyone have recommendations for web storage services that
> > would work well with hosting my build of HABS packages? I've tried
> > DropBox but the current AUR package for it is unusable, at least with
> > Xmonad.
>
> There is always the option of using the pre-built packages.
> Information can be found at
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Haskell_package_guidelines#Haskell_packages

What I want to do is contribute built packages to HABS, as per your
message in
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/arch-haskell/2012-March/001954.html .
Maybe I should start small and just manually give you links to packages
one at a time, but I imagine this could get tedious at some point...
whereupon I would need to find decent web storage/hosting.

-L